I have been trying to stop drinking diet coke for so long. It’s always so hard because I love that carbonation goodness in a glass filled with ice. There’s nothing better than a big, frosty glass of diet coke while it slowly burns your organs and kills you from the inside out. Why is it we love what’s horrible for us?
Because Diet Coke is so bad I’ve been trying to stop drinking it, but I always fail because I have nothing good to replace it with. Nothing compares! And most other soft drinks are almost as bad for you with all of the high fructose corn syrup and chemicals added. Even most ginger ale (which is supposed to be healthy!) is really actually pretty bad for you.
In my search to find a delicious replacement for diet coke, I thought about Sonic’s yummy strawberry limeades. They are so delicious and easy to make from home. You just use sprite or diet sprite and add fresh squeezed limes and crushed up strawberries over ice. But admittedly, sprite isn’t all that great for you either, so I made my own recipe that’s similar and tastes wonderful and I feel good drinking it because I know it’s super healthy. And I still get to enjoy that carbonation glory in a glass!
Here’s my own, healthier version of Sonic’s delicious Strawberry Limeades:
- Fill a glass with Perrier Lime (must be a glass, not plastic cup…it makes a difference in taste! A frosted glass from the freezer would be even better.)
- Squeeze a couple of lemon wedges in there to give it that lemon, lime flavor you get from sprite
- Throw in a few blueberries and cut up strawberries
- Use a fork to crush the blueberries and strawberries up against the side of the glass, allowing all of those delicious fruit flavors to be released into the drink.
- Sip up and feel very healthy and good about yourself while enjoying your delicious homemade drink 🙂
Now, I admit, virtually nothing can replace the yummy goodness of an ice cold diet coke. But the great thing about this drink is that you feel so healthy while drinking it while still getting great flavors and bubbly carbonation. I don’t like overpowering fruit flavored drinks, so this one is great for me. Try it and comment below with what you think. If you have any suggestions to make the drink even better, let me know! As I type this request for suggestions, the thought comes to me that maybe some fresh mint leaves could be a fantastic addition to the recipe…